What is Chromium 6 or Hexavalent Chromium?
- Hexavalent chromium is one of the valence states (+6) of the element chromium. It is usually produced by an industrial process.
- The current federal drinking water standard for total chromium is 0.1 mg/l or 100 ppb.
- The USEPA is now reviewing data from a 2008 long-term animal study by the Department of Health and Human Service's National Toxicology Program, which suggested that Chromium 6 may be a human carcinogen if ingested. When the review is completed, EPA will consider this and other information to determine whether the drinking water standard for total chromium needs to be revised.
- Chromium VI is known to cause cancer and as it targets the respiratory system, kidneys, liver, skin and eyes.
What Level of Chromium 6 is Safe?
- The EPA has not established a safety standard for Chromium 6 in drinking water.
- The EPA currently only regulates the total Chromium found in drinking water supplies (this includes Chromium 3, which is found naturally in foods at low levels and is an essential human dietary nutrient).
- The Maximum Contaminant Level (MCL) for Chromium set at 0.10 ppm (parts per million).
- California has proposed a MCL of 0.1 ppb (parts per billion) for Chromium 6 (Hexavalent Chromium).
- Simply put, authorities are not sure what level (if any) of Chromium 6 is safe.
- Chromium 6 is frequently called the “Erin Brockovich Chemical” since that was the chemical at the center of the movie Erin Brockovich in which, despite her lack of formal education in the law, was instrumental in building a case against the Pacific Gas and Electric Company of California in 1993.
How to Remove Chromium 6 from Your Drinking Water?
- Faucet and countertop filters using activated carbon are not capable of removing or reducing Hexavalent Chromium.
- Reverse Osmosis will remove Hexavalent Chromium from drinking water.
The US Water Cobalt Hyper-Safe reverse osmosis system removes the largest spectrum of contaminants of any drinking water system on the market today. The system removes more contaminants because it uses the very latest in cutting-edge technology… some of which is utilized in semiconductors. It removes Chromium 6 and a lot more.
This is a professional-grade system built with the highest quality components and backed with a warranty that is up to 300% longer than our competition. The Cobalt Hyper-Safe 5-Stage RO system uses all NSF, WQA and FDA Certified components. This is the system for you if you don’t settle for just another RO system. It wastes up to 80% less water and makes water up to 75% faster than other systems.
Removes 93% to 99.999% of the following contaminants:
- Arsenic 5
- Radium 222
- Radium 228
- Total Dissolved Solids