Green Wave Utilizing Nucleation Assisted Crystallization
Green Wave does not require chemicals such as sodium, potassium, acids or phosphates to produce a scale-free effect in water distributions systems and especially water heating equipment. Green Wave-NAC is a far simpler "physical water treatment" and does not extract or sequester the water hardness constituents of calcium and magnesium, but rather consistently influences the crystal structures of these minerals in such a manner that no scale is formed on interior surfaces. Green Wave neither adds chemicals nor removes chemicals from the water.
To be more specific, rather than attempting to prevent the natural tendency of hard water to form scale (by removing or adding chemicals), GreenWave treatment actually promotes and redirects scale formation in such a manner that the scale remains suspended in the water rather than forming on surfaces within the water system.
How Does Green WaveWork?
In cold water, calcium ions (Ca2+), magnesium ions (Mg+2) and bicarbonate ions (HCO3-) are surrounded by "layers" of electrochemically-attracted water molecules, which "insulate" against the natural tendency of the oppositely-charged ions to come together and form crystals. Nuclear level templates on the surface of the Green Wave-NAC media act as catalysts and reduce the ability of water molecules to prevent calcium, magnesium and bicarbonate ions from coming together to form crystals of calcium and magnesium scale. This process that we refer to as NAC (Nucleation Assisted Crystallization) results in the creation of microscopic crystals of scale (seed crystals), which rapidly form in the treated water, not on the contact surfaces of the water system, and are carried downstream in colloidal suspension through the water system.
- In untreated water, the scale forms on the inside walls of pipe, exterior of fixtures and all heating surfaces.
- In Green Wave-NAC treated water, the seed crystals themselves provide a far greater surface area for new scale formation. Therefore, new scale preferentially deposits on this continuously replenished stream of suspended crystals rather than on the water contact surfaces — especially those surfaces that are at elevated temperatures.
Since scale formation is not static (it is constantly forming and dissolving),
the existence of continuously generated seed crystals not only eliminates further deposition of scale on water contact surfaces, but in fact will cause deposited scale to gradually dissolve back into the water and deposit on passing seed crystals in the water (from contact surfaces to solution to seed crystals).
Green Wave-NAC Vs. Water Conditioners
- The calcium and magnesium removed by traditional salt-using softeners are essential nutrients, while the sodium added is suspected to aggravate certain cardiovascular health problems and contribute to weight gain.
- GreenWave-NAC systems do not add anything or remove anything from the water, retaining the important naturally occurring minerals, especially calcium and magnesium.
- Salt-using softeners must be regularly recharged by adding more salt and back-flushing with fresh water, which is costly, inconvenient, corrosive to pipes and water heaters, harmful to the environment and wasteful of a precious resource.
- It is becoming increasingly common for municipalities to ban the use of automatic water softeners, as the need to recycle water becomes a necessity.
- Green Wave-NAC requires virtually no maintenance; no residual costs and does not harm the environment, pipes or water heaters.
- Salt-using softeners cannot always be easily installed and require more than twice the space of a Green Wave-NAC system. Softeners also require a drain connection and electrical power.
- Green Wave-NAC systems can be installed where space is very limited.
Residential & Commercial Applications Benefits
- Eliminates the need for salt softeners
- No need for salt or corrosive chemicals
- Removes existing scale deposits
- Longer life expectancy for appliances
- Reduced energy expenses
- Increased efficiency of hot water tanks
- Environmentally friendly
- No electrical power required
- Virtually maintenance free
- Easy to install and requires no drain connection or electrical power
Industrial Applications Benefits
- Eliminates scale prevention chemicals
- Other chemical costs can be reduced
- No more acid baths or pressure washing
- Reduced maintenance and downtime
- Increased design/operating efficiencies
- Removes existing scale deposits
- Longer life expectancy for capital equipment
- Can be installed on all piping materials
- Easy to install and virtually no maintenance
- Economical and permanent solution to hard water problems
Nucleation Assisted Crystallization (NAC)
Once formed and detached from the surface of FILTERSORB® SP3 media beads, the crystals will not adhere to any other surfaces, even in the case of hot water applications. The crystals cant form scale because of its stable molecular structure and neutral surface electro potentiality.
Nucleation Assisted Crystallization is the basis of reliable Scale Prevention capability of FILTERSORB® SP3 .
The transformation of water hardness takes place in the following steps:
1. Continuous transformation of water hardness makes the immediate crystal growth possible with unidirectional chemical equilibrium viz. Ca(HCO3)2 → CaCO3 + CO2 + H2O
As CO2 leaves fast the right hand direction of the equation is preserved.
2. The crystals developing on the surface of the FILTERSORB® SP3 bead, grow rapidly and nucleate using the formed CO2 micro-bubbles (colloid gas) as the template.
3. After a certain period of time the micro-emulsion of CO2 & CaCO3 forms hollow particle & leaves the media bead surface in neutral form. The average dimension of CaCO3 crystal coated globules ranges in micro-meter. The noted reaction time is normally less than 4 seconds.
FILTERSORB® SP3 formed crystals can sustain a temperature up to 640°F (380°C), before structural breakdown to calcite form. This property of the transformed hardness makes the treated water perfect for hot water applications and boilers.
Micro Crystals and Colloid CO2
The story behind amazing pH stabilization of FILTERSORB® SP3 treated water
Influence of formed CaCO3 as pH balancing factor:
The reaction: Ca(HCO3)2 → CaCO3 + CO2 + H2O is unidirectional while SP3 is transforming the hardness into water insoluble crystals.
· In nucleation assisted crystallization process formed CO2 leaves as colloid gas and is used as the template by the rapidly growing crystals in the nucleation site.
· This emulsion of CaCO3 micro-crystals & CO2 micro-bubbles forms hollow particles
· Formed hollow particles are double walled, both internal and external faces belonging to the cleavage aragonites which separate the surrounding water from the enclosed gas cavity.
· Hence, the reverse reaction of CO2 with water forming Carbonic Acid is not possible and the pH stability is maintained. In fact every excess CaCO3 crystals are buffering any carbonic acid left over.