Pulsar™ Ultraviolet Disinfection
UV, as it is often called, is also a physical method for the disinfection of water in that no chemicals are added. An ultraviolet light operates at 254 nanometers (nm) and, as water containing microorganisms passes by the UV light, their DNA is altered so that it cannot reproduce. Since these microorganisms cannot replicate, they are essentially dead. As mentioned, UV adds nothing to the water and while it does use power, it generally costs only about $30 a year to operate.
- Moderate initial cost
- No harmful chemicals added
- No disinfection byproducts
- Uses electricity
- Requires proper contact time
- Bulb contains mercury and must be disposed of properly
- When the power goes out, your plumbing system can be compromised with bacteria
- Controller (ballast) needs periodic replacement
Pulsar™ Quantum Disinfection
Quantum Disinfection is the future of disinfection and the future is here! Imagine using just a 10 inch filter housing to get bacteria-free, safe, disinfected water, with no electricity, no chemicals, no UV bulbs that have to be disposed of properly because they have mercury inside, no ballast to replace and no carbon footprint.
- Low initial cost
- Removes bacteria, cysts, and virus
- Algae and iron can plug it quickly
The disinfection water treatment of choice for many years, chlorine is starting to decline in popularity due to newer, better, and more economical methods. Chlorine and chloramine (a related chemical) are still the methods of choice for disinfecting water in most municipalities, but homeowners are often hesitant to use chlorination due to the sheer size of the system, the dangerous disinfection byproducts produced by chlorination, and the service required to keep the system operational.
- Chemical disinfection is effective at killing bacteria
- Can measure the amount in the water
- Effective at killing algae
- Requires 20 to 30 minutes of contact time, so a large retention tank is needed
- Troublesome technology in that chlorine tends to crystallize and plug at the injection point
- Produces disinfection byproducts that are carcinogenic
- Corrosive to metals close to chlorine