Commercial Ultraviolet Systems
COMMERCIAL ULTRAVIOLET DISINFECTION SYSTEMS
Ultraviolet Disinfection (also known as ultraviolet germicidal irradiation) is a chemical-free disinfection method that uses short-wavelength ultraviolet (UV-C) light to inactivate microorganisms by disrupting their DNA, leaving them unable to perform vital cellular functions such as reproduction. At the 254nm wavelength, UV light can penetrate the cell wall of a microorganism, permanently altering the DNA structure within seconds and leaving no chemical by-products as a result.
Ultraviolet (UV) disinfection transfers electromagnetic energy from a UV lamp to an organism's genetic material (DNA and RNA). When UV radiation penetrates the cell wall of an organism, it destroys the cell's ability to reproduce… UV is a truly killer light.
Ultraviolet Disinfection is almost universally accepted as the most effective method for disinfection of water from flow rates of one gallon per minute to tens of thousands of gallons per minute. US Water Systems offers three brands of UV Disinfection to suit many applications.
#1 In Quality, Support and Guarantee
Ultraviolet Disinfection (or “UV”) can be used for multiple purposes in water treatment, but is primarily employed as a disinfection process that inactivates waterborne pathogens without chemicals. For other applications, UV is used for the removal of organic and inorganic chemicals, including chlorine, chloramines, ozone and Total Organic Carbon (TOC). When combined with oxidants such as ozone or hydrogen peroxide, or semiconductors such as titanium dioxide, UV can be used for the oxidation of refractory chemicals such as chlorinated solvents, taste and odor compounds, and other emerging contaminants. UV disinfection has been successfully applied worldwide for decades and has numerous advantages over chemical disinfection methods:
- Effective for all types of microorganisms, including bacteria, viruses, fungi, and protozoa such as Cryptosporidium and Giardia
- Chemical-free technology, eliminating chemical transport, storage, handling or removal
- Non-corrosive and no hazards associated with accidental overdosing
- Low capital and operating cost
- Easy to operate and maintain
- No disinfection by-products (DBPs) of health concern formed
- Compact and easy to retrofit
- Efficiency is independent of pH
- No impact to the aesthetic quality of the water (taste, odor, color)
- Safe and environmentally-friendly