What Are The Advantages Of Pleated Filters?
The staff at US Water are frequently asked about what type of filters to use. Today we are going to focus on whole-house filtration, specifically what type of filter is best for that application.
Pleated filter cartridges outperform wound, spun, melt blown, resin bonded and other ”depth” type filter elements because these cartridges are pleated to provide increased surface area and longer life. Lower pressure drop is another significant advantage of using pleated cartridges, which allows for increased flow rates and the use of smaller filter housings to reduce capital equipment costs.
Additional savings are provided because cartridges made with 100% synthetic filter media are cleanable, five micron and up, to lower cartridge replacement costs. A good pleated filter cartridge will outperform other types of cartridges because the filter media is systematically produced using 100% synthetic fibers, with no binders or additives to leave a residue, foam or contaminate. Pleated cartridges provide “depth” filtration for greater sediment removal, along with more surface area.
Pleated Filter Features
- Filter media is pleated for greater surface area.
- Synthetic filter media is cellulose-free.
- Thicker filter media has a greater capacity to capture and retain particles, compared to thin, more rigid media types, which have less void space for particle retention.
Pleated Filter Benefits
- Low pressure drop, long life, reduced filtration costs, compared to wound and spun cartridges.
- No additives or binders, which may cause foaming.
- Increased dirt holding capacity, longer life, fewer cartridge replacements needed, and reduced filtration costs, compared to other pleated cartridge suppliers.
- Increased particle removal efficiency and longer life.
- Reduced cost per gallon filtered.
It would be very unusual for there to be a situation where a pleated filter would not dramatically outperform any other filter for a whole house application. Simply put, a pleated filter works better and costs less. US Water distributes pleated filters manufactured by Harmsco, Watts, Flowmatic and Liquatec to fit most filter housings, such as American Plumber, Pentek, Ametek, Cuno and others.