Removing Sulfur Odor From WaterMike wrote:
We drilled a new well that has both coliform bacteria and high levels of hydrogen sulfide. I have been looking to install a chlorine feeding pump, retention tank and carbon filter. We have used this system in the past at our old house with mixed results. The hydrogen peroxide system looks interesting. Will this system also kill the coliform bacteria and any other bacteria that may be in the water?US Water Response: Chlorine is a better sanitizer, in that it kills bacteria better, but hydrogen sulfide needs to be oxidized to be removed and chlorine is not a good oxidizer for high levels of hydrogen sulfide. To remove hydrogen sulfide, you would want to use an OXi-GEN system. In many cases, higher levels of hydrogen sulfide (also call hydrogen sulphide) can be removed with a Filox system, which requires no chemicals, just backwashing. In extreme cases, chlorine has to be injected during the backwash cycle to help clean the media. Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) is a dramatically better oxidizer, which is what you need to eradicate sulfur. Most likely, if you have high sulfur and bacteria, the chlorine might kill the bacteria, but it won’t get rid of all the sulfur. Hydrogen peroxide ALWAYS gets rid of ALL the sulfur and there are no carcinogenic disinfection byproducts with H2O2, like with chlorine (THM's). So, what to do about the bacteria? You can use the peroxide system for the sulfur, and follow with an ultraviolet light after the Oxi system, and softener, if you have one. UV is a much better sanitizer than chlorine, and kills bacteria as well as cysts.