IS QD is a Better Disinfection Solution Than UV?

Posted in: Disinfection
By Mark Timmons
More from this author

IS QD is a Better Disinfection Solution Than UV?

Water treatment professionals have long known that ultraviolet light does not "technically" kill microorganisms.  They understand that UV damages the DNA of a bacterial cell so that it cannot replicate.  Essentially, it is rendered dead because it cannot replicate.  However, they are still in the water, even if they are "dead men walking"!  Now, we also find that in some cases, bacteria may remain dormant after UV disinfection.  In Chemical & Engineering News, dated January 15, 2015, Deirdre Lockwood reported this:
Many drinking water treatment facilities worldwide disinfect water with ultraviolet light because it’s quick and efficient, kills protozoa such as Giardia, and doesn’t introduce potentially harmful disinfection by-products. But a new study shows that UV treatment alone can push bacteria into a dormant state instead of killing them, and that in some cases, the bacteria can later revive and proliferate (Environ. Sci. Technol. 2015, DOI: 10.1021/es505211e).
In contrast with chlorination, which kills by destroying the bacterial cell membrane, UV treatment leaves the membrane intact but damages bacterial DNA to block replication. But it can also induce bacteria into a viable but nonculturable state in which the bacteria are dormant and no longer form colonies, but can later wake up and start dividing again.
Any way you slice it, UV does not immediately cause bacteria to cease to exist. At the very best it is a "dead man walking."  However, in a worst case scenario, it can lay dormant and come back to life.  I'm sure that is not the norm, but nevertheless it is scary.  Look, I am not suggesting that you shouldn't use UV, that it is obsolete or somehow a flawed technology. What I am suggesting is that times change, advancements are made and sometimes an emerging technology is superior to the old technology. Quantum Disinfection is a "disruptive technology" in that it kills bacteria at the cellular level by removing their electrons.  Silecte™ Quantum Disinfection is completely and totally different that any silecte-iq-1other disinfection method.  The inventor of Silecte™ Quantum Disinfection applied scientific principles utilized in the manufacturing of semiconductors. Without boring you with a full scientific explanation of how Quantum Disinfection works (we have the white papers and other supporting documents for those inclined), we can certainly say that Quantum Disinfection delivers instant bacteria elimination through the attraction of electrons onto a surface using no power and nothing introduced into the water. Silecte™ Quantum Disinfection kills bacteria instantly upon contact.  The system pictured to the right delivers 5 log reduction (99.999%) of bacteria at 10 GPM!  I suppose that under the best conditions ultraviolet disinfection delivers 4 log (99.99%) reduction of bacteria... which isn't bad, but consider this:  What happens when the power flickers, goes on and off a couple of times?  It happens at my house on occasion.  What happens when the power goes out completely for a few hours? If you are on city water, you will still likely have water, but you won't have any disinfection because the power is out.  With well water, when the power goes off, you still have water in your pressure tank that you can use, but it is also not disinfected.  If your water is contaminated, the microorganisms pass right on through to your tap and it's just not as simple as waiting for the power to come back on.  Once any bacteria have passed into the system, that are there until you disinfect the system with chlorine which takes up to 24 hours.  Once contaminated, the bacteria remain in the pipes until they are thoroughly disinfected, which is why the plumbing needs to be sanitized upon installation of a Silecte™ Quantum Disinfection system. Ultraviolet disinfection also requires power to operate it - we estimate approximately $30 a year... not a big deal, but it is precious energy.  UV's also require the bulbs be replaced yearly and sometimes the quartz sleeve breaks ($30-$50) or the ballast/electronic controller goes bad ($100 - $300).  These are all operational costs for Ultraviolet Disinfection.  Oh, I almost forgot - the bulbs contain mercury and they need to be disposed of properly or the mercury can end up back in the environment.  Most people do not dispose of their bulbs properly. Silecte requires no power, adds nothing to the water, uses no chemicals, delivers 24/7/365 disinfection without interruption and is totally green.  It leaves no carbon footprint, and as I mentioned, the US EPA has tested it and reported that it adds nothing to the water.  Let's review the facts:
  • Silecte™ Quantum Disinfection provides 99.999% kill of bacteria which is better than UV
  • Silecte™ Quantum Disinfection adds nothing to the water
  • Silecte™ Quantum Disinfection uses no electricity
  • Silecte™ Quantum Disinfection delivers disinfection 24/7/365, even during power outages
  • Silecte™ Quantum Disinfection is totally green technology and leaves no carbon footprint
Right about now, you are thinking that Silecte™ Quantum Disinfection sounds too good to be true.  Well, it is too good, but it is also 100% true.  Silecte™ Quantum Disinfection is the future of disinfection and the future is now! QuantumDisinfection-01
July 1, 2016
Comments
Matty
August 25, 2018 at 10:38 AM
We have well water in our house, will this Silicate (plan to place under the sink) be sufficient to make our water drinkable and would it remove the sodium we use for our water softener. Right now we use 3 gal water jugs refilled at Walmart. Would you recommend RO? THANKS!
Mark Timmons
August 25, 2018 at 2:36 PM
You would need a RO to remove sodium. You can add Quantum Disinfection to any of these RO systems: https://www.uswatersystems.com/drinking-water/reverse-osmosis-systems/under-sink-reverse-osmosis
Eric Firman
January 3, 2020 at 1:07 AM
You guys always come up with the best solutions! For a home under the counter Reverse Osmosis system that is using a post carbon filter after the storage tank where would you recommend this to be placed? Thank you!
Mark Timmons
January 13, 2020 at 9:28 AM
I would recommend it be installed on the line to the faucet.