Protect Yourself From Brain-Eating Amoebas

Protect Yourself From Brain-Eating Amoebas

They are back: Brain-eating Amoeba


With all of this year's madness, 2020 will likely go down in history as one of the craziest years ever. To make matters worse, now city officials in Lake Jackson, Texas, have issued a disaster declaration on September 26, 2020, in response to drinking water contaminated with a brain-eating amoeba. The city is under a "do not use water order," and has requested an emergency declaration from the state. This is not a joke – it is real and must be dealt with. At a minimum, the brain-eating amoeba will make you very sick, cause permanent damage, or DEATH! 

This amoeba, called Naegleria Fowleri, is commonly found in bodies of warm freshwater such as streams, lakes, and rivers. The primary risk of infectious disease is when infected water enters the nose. Once in the sinus cavities, the amoeba travels along the nerves and crosses into the brain through tiny openings in the bone at the base of the forehead.  

The Naegleria Fowleri can cause primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM), a brain infection that is almost always fatal. Stomach acid kills the amoeba so tap water is safe to drink, but it typically enters the body through the nose while bathing, swimming, or diving in pools. People who flush their sinuses are advised to use water that has been boiled or purified by reverse osmosis and ultraviolet light. Peace of mind comes with the installation of a whole-house ultraviolet disinfection system.

How to protect yourself (and your family)

So, can you drink the water, but don't get any up your nose because the Naegleri Fowleri amoeba will eat your brains? 

I'm sorry, maybe it's just me, but I am not drinking that water, thank you very much. My nose is pretty close to my mouth. No way I am doing that! This amoeba is most commonly contracted when diving or swimming in water contaminated with it, but there are cases of people getting it from bathing or showering or accidentally getting water up to their nose in some fashion.  

The brain-eating amoeba can be in the water supply, but so can other microorganisms like bacteria, yeast, virus, and cysts. There is technology available that can trap and kill these organisms so that you can have the peace of mind in knowing that your water is bacteria-free.  

You may believe that the city is responsible for your water supply, but the sooner you take control of your water, the better off you will all be. We have known for quite some time that the water infrastructures in many cities are aging and even crumbling. It is said by many experts that Flint, Michigan is just the tip of the iceberg. Water is one of our most precious resources and it's time we all take charge of our water. The technology of the 21st Century variety is the solution. 

What is The Solution to Bacterial Contamination and Stopping Brain-Eating Amoebas? 

I recommend at a minimum, a two-prong approach using submicron filtration and ultraviolet disinfection. This involves a filter ahead of the ultraviolet light that has a Zeta charge of 51 millivolts. This filter is called The Intercepter and it utilized electro-adhesion to remove bacteria, cysts, and even brain-eating amoebas. However, this is a serious business and requires ultraviolet disinfection to be assured of killing the microorganism. 

Ultraviolet light does an awesome job of killing just about any microorganism IF the water is very clear, so the sub-micron Intercepter filter ahead of the UV does double-duty: 

(1) it removes a significant portion of the microorganisms

(2) it “tightens” the filtration so that the water is much more clear, allowing the ultraviolet light to penetrate and kill the bacteria.

For an added degree of protection, efficiency, and longevity, you can include “step-down” filtration ahead of the Interceptor filter to extend the life of the Intercepter by trapping the larger particles ahead of it. We offer dual, triple, and even quad filtration (pictured below). It starts with a 5-micron filter, then steps down to a 1-micron filter, followed by a ½ micron filter before it gets to the Intercepter filter, which is just ahead of the ultraviolet light. 


Unlike chemical water disinfection, UV rapidly and effectively inactivates microorganisms through a physical process. When bacteria, viruses, and protozoa receive exposure to UV  radiation, they are rendered incapable of reproducing and die. UV light is very effective against pathogenic organisms, including those responsible for cholera, polio, typhoid, hepatitis, and other bacterial, viral, and parasitic diseases. 

Like any ultraviolet disinfection system, the water should be free of iron, manganese, tannin, high hardness, and anything that can inhibit the transfer of ultraviolet light in the water. You need to eliminate any hiding places for the little critters.

Having a proper water system provides total home protection, disease control, and prevention. This gives you peace of mind in knowing that you and your family’s water is protected from any bacterial contamination, not just brain-eating amoebas. You should take your water treatment seriously! 

Be safe, my friends.  

September 29, 2020
2235 view(s)
Did you like this post?
South Carolinian
September 23, 2017 at 7:48 PM
Is there any kind of shower filter (i.e., the kind that you attach at the point where the water comes out, right before the head) that can remove or kill the naegleri fowleri (a.k.a., brain eating) amoeba? Also, can the media inside a shower filter ever provide a place for such amoeba to live and multiply?
Mark Timmons
September 25, 2017 at 7:57 PM
Not yet, but it is coming!
September 25, 2017 at 7:57 PM
This is from 2017. Have you since developed the device for the shower head?
Mark Timmons
September 22, 2020 at 9:40 AM
We have not. It does not seem that many people are interested, There is not much of a market. Maybe in the future....
Jj blondi
December 4, 2018 at 2:25 PM
How long does it last? that Determined by date or amount of water filtered?
Mark Timmons
December 6, 2018 at 12:38 PM
beverly bozung
November 10, 2019 at 11:35 AM
I have well water with a sodtener and a carbon filter. Where is the device installed? On the wall? Can it be installed as a standing unir instead of nailed to the wall?
Mark Timmons
November 10, 2019 at 11:37 AM
Yes,it can sit on the floor or be mounted on the wall.
Sasha Mlait
June 3, 2020 at 12:44 AM
I would like to purchase this water system for a home in the UK. Do you supple internationally?
Mark Timmons
June 3, 2020 at 2:03 PM
Yes we do. We will contact you.