Can I install a water softener myself?
This is a question we hear frequently and it begs other questions:
- Can you mow your lawn?
- Can you change an electrical outlet?
- Can you install a bathroom faucet?
- Can you replace your garbage disposal?
I ask those questions, because if you can do 50% of the above things, you can probably install a water softener. I have had 63 year-old grandmothers install theirs, but I must admit that it is not for everyone. If you think you might be able to install a water softener, then consider the following:
- There are four things to connect when you install a water softener: (1) Inlet; (2) Outlet; (3) Drain; and (4) Plug it in. Really, that's three (3) - if you can't plug it in, well that's too bad!
- US Water has the best installation manuals in the industry.
- US Water has amazing installation videos that show step-by-step how to accomplish the installation.
- US Water has technical support by telephone and web seven days a week from 8 AM until 11 PM, 365 days a year. We can answer your questions as they arise.
There is one caveat to a successful water softener installation: You need two eyes, two ears and one mouth! There's a reason for that. It's so you can read the manual, watch the video and say a lot less than you take in. Frankly, the installations we have the most problems with are when "plumbers or water dealers who know it all
" try to install something without reading the manual or looking at the video or asking help from our technical support department.
We have the best results with people who are cautious, not over-confident and seek advice. US Water has a full assortment of fittings, tubing and instructions on how to install any water softener, such as Sharkbite Fittings
, John Guest Fittings
and Falcon Stainless Flexible Connectors
. You can find all of US Water Systems' Installation Supplies, How-to-Videos and Information right HERE
With the advent of Quick-Connect, Flexible Stainless Connectors and Shark-Bite Fittings, it really takes no special skills to install a water softener, and many plumbers are not happy that they may have to seek a new career path if they are bent on the old way of doing things. Can you do it? I can't say, but thousands of people like you do it every year and save hundreds of dollars each time in the process.