Is Pelican™ A Water Softener?

It seems like I am getting this question several times a day:

We have had a Pelican™* for 3 + years now. Our water tastes great, but it absolutely does NOT soften our water. Our showers heads clog, we have scale on the facets, etc. We have a hardness of about 15-17. If I could have the perfect solution it would be to have the salt water softener on all my hot water and the Pelican™ on only my drinking water. I think the Pelican™ is misleading when it says it ‘softens’. – Jennifer

The Water Doctor Replied:

By definition (by WQA Soft Water Task Force), soft water is that which contains less than  one grain per gallon (gpg) of hardness ions (< 17.1 ppm as CaCO3). Any water conditioning device that is effective in reducing the  water hardness to less than one gpg is, therefore, a softener. Any water conditioning device that does not reduce the hardness of the feed water to < 1.0 gpg cannot be called a softener, and the water it produces  cannot be called soft water. (“Softening Alternatives) C.F. ‘Chubb’ Michaud, CE, CWS-VI, January 2011 Water Conditioning & Purification Magazine)

In fact, nearly every definition I have read of “soft water” or “water softener” involves a device that “substantially reduces hardness.”  Since Pelican™ does not substantially reduce hardness, I would have to agree with you, Jennifer.  I too believe that Pelican™ is being deliberately misleading when they call their device a “saltless water softener“, instead of a “saltless water conditioner“.

It is my opinion that when marketing a product you should tell the truth.  A company who doesn’t may have a degree of success, but eventually the market will figure it out.  Consumers are not stupid!

I would actually be interested in Pelican’s™ rationale as to why they think it’s OK to call it a saltfree water softener.

* – Pelican™ is a registered trademark of Pelican Water Technologies. US Water Systems has no affiliation with the company.

Share it now!

21 Responses to “Is Pelican™ A Water Softener?”

1. SteveO says:

The big question is how does the Pelican compare with the greenwave product? You see pelican has 2 poducts, a conditioner and a filter… If Jennifer has the filter and the conditioner then I would not expect the scaling to be reduced.

However I am in the mark3et and will be deciding very soon about which direction to go… I drink a lot of tapwater, but the wife and kids have dry skin.. So I’m searching for a solution…

2. mark says:

SteveO,

You said that “IF Jennifer has the filter and conditioner then I would not expect the scaling to be reduced?” That’s exactly what the conditioner and filter do! The filter itself only removes chlorine and chemicals. The conditioner is what is supposed to prevent scale.

Pelican vs. Green Wave?

With Green Wave, you have more selection of systems (to size it specifically to your application), bigger carbon tanks and lower prices. The technology is the same. Dry skin is usually caused by chlorine and hardness in the water. The Pelican and Green Wave can remove the chlorine, but not that hardness. Many dermatologists recommend water softeners for people with sensitive skin for that very reason.

3. Steve P. says:

Hey, I am a Water Treatment dealer in South Georgia. We delt with the founder of this product in 2005. The product does not soften water. We installed several units in So. GA and N. FL. None worked, and we had to replace all with conventional water softeners. We absorbed the loss and discontinued our association with these crooks! Marketing is their best feature. We are in the business, and we wanted it soooo bad, even our trained professionals fell for their scam. It just sounds soooo good, that we all wanted it to work. It did not, and it cost our company a lot of money..

4. jack h. says:

I was going to purchase a Pelican and spend $2,000.00 after reading your review refiner.
    I am going with a local dealer there produc,t is Aquarius

5. mark says:

You might want to look at the Green Wave and Watts E-Treat Products as well:

Regards,

Mark Timmons

6. Robert S. says:

I’m looking for a system too, I did some research also and believe calling the salt-free systems softeners is misleading. My kitchen faucet, shower and water heater all show signs of the white residue, our local water company says our water conains 252ppm of hardness. What makes the Green Wave system superior to the Pelican system. I also have a septic system.

7. mark says:

Robert,

I do not believe either is superior – they are the same. The difference is we tell the truth about what it will and won’t do.

8. John Asaro says:

what about H2O CONCEPPTS ?

9. mark says:

John,

If I want to believe what H2O Concepts says about their product and what their cathode – anode system will do, I will need to set aside some basic rules of chemistry. While I am at it, maybe I should set aside the law of gravity too?

There is some truth in what they say, but my testing shows that it doesn’t work very well in real life!

10. Lynn says:

After reading these comments I am scratching Pelican off my list BUT what about Fleck, Culligan or Kinetico. There is a difference in price and options. I like what Kinetico offers but, ouch, the price. Any suggestions….I have very hard water.

The Water Doctor replied:

Well obviously, I would be remiss if I didn’t point you to our products. We sell direct and eliminate all the commissioned salesmen and expensive dealers.

Look at this product:

If you are on city water, you might want to consider this:

Good luck!

11. Long Nguyen says:

DO NOT BUY WHATEVER CALLED SALT FREE SYSTEM especially Pelican. They’re misleading and lie to consumer. I bought a PSE2000 system in Oct 2011 (Whole House Filter & Salt Free Softener) and disappointed right after installation. Spots are everywhere and scales after couple months. I used to have salt base system and really happy with it. Now, I am switching the whole Pelican system with salt base from Costco. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY with any SALT FREE system.

12. sue b says:

Thankyou I was going to go with pelican because of salt free glsd to hear from honest consumers

13. cris says:

Yes,but pelican also offers salt based softeners with combo set, so what would your opinion be on this?

14. mark says:

It’s the same as anyone’s softeners. Compare prices and resin quality as well as warranty.

15. kris says:

What about Halo 5 Stage Whole House? And any comments about H20 Harmony? Just had two different respectable plumbers in the area recommend those. Ever heard of these and if they’re worth it? Should I just stick to Kinetico?

The Water Doctor Replied:

The Halo 5 has Granular Activated Carbon (good because it removes chlorine and chemicals, tastes and odors), Centaur Carbon (good for removing chloramines), Filter-Ag, which serves no purpose unless it is a full tank and garnet which is in all systems as support media. If you could buy this for $1,100 or $1,200, it would be a good deal. The magnet at the bottom works as well as voodoo!

H2O Harmony has nothing to support what they do. “Reputable plumbers” aren’t qualified to make a scientific determination as to whether a water treatment product has any validity (and I am being kind).

Of the two, I would stick to Kinetico! I you are searching for something better, give us a call http://www.uswatersystems.com

16. Heidi says:

I too am researching Pelican. There are any number of units and combination of units for different water including well water (which is my situation) So far it is a very comprehensive product and I’ll let you know after I buy it … how it’s working. First I’m going to get my water tested and go from there.

The Water Doctor Replied:

My advice is to be careful. Doesn’t it bother you that they call some of their systems “Salt-Free Water Softeners” when they are IN FACT not?

17. Thomas says:

I’ve had a PC 600 system for 5 years now and will NOT replace it. (Bypassed it 6 months ago) Chalk up one 40 gal water heater installed at the same time I installed the Pelican system. Sediment was so bad that it actually buried the thermocouple for the heater causing water temperature of 205 degrees set on lowest possible setting of the heater. (Even replaced heat sensor module under manufacturers warranty) LOTS of calcium deposits at ALL faucets and water spotting of dishes like you wouldn’t believe!! If anything, just use the big carbon filter. IT’S A WATER DECONDITIONER.

18. John Ward says:

Save yourselves some time and headache. Buy General Ionics water equipment. It works and you only have to see the service guys once a year for routine maintenance. I have their equipment and never a problem. I’ve had it for almost 20 years now and still works like its new. It is solid stainless steel, NOT some low-line stainless steel sleeve hiding the plastic or fiberglass tank underneath. Ionics has a silver impregnated activated carbon which inhibits the growth of bacteria within the system, removes chlorine, dissolved oil & gas etc…. It’s absolutely the best investment I’ve ever made for our house considering it protects plumbing, appliances, faucets, not to mention no hard water build up on showers or dishes. It shocks me everytime I see people invest in a $250-$750,000 home and not spend a little bit of money to protect their plumbing and expensive appliances from the HARD water. But most of all I have peace of mind knowing it protects my families health as well. Do what you want but I’m extremely satisfied with my General Ionics equipment. Good luck to each of you!

19. Dwight George Black says:

I totally agree with Jennifer. We installed a Pelican filter and softener a little over a year ago, in a new home, with new copper plumbing. We now have scale on all faucets, and we must use a vast amount of laundry soap. So called Pelican soft water systems DO NOT WORK. Each time I contacted them, they say the same BS, claiming this is normal.
    D. George Black.

20. Teresa says:

Ditto! I agree with Jennifer as well. We installed a Pelican whole house water softener and under counter water filter with minerals added to our new house and it was a disaster as the softener malfunctioned and shot the softener media throughout the house’s entire plumbing. We spent days flushing out the stuff and had to replace shower valves, and toilet parts as they got clogged and damaged. And…. the product had never previously worked. The water never was softened as they claimed and we had minerals clogging up our house humidifiers (We had to replace 3 of those). The water felt terrible on skin and hair.. We got rid of the Pelican and installed a salt water conditioner and all is going well now with the new system. But we kept the under the counter Pelican water filter which has always had an awful smell under the counter and a never stopping gas sound from the faucet as it continuously recharges… So now we are looking for a new under the counter water filter. Thinking of one from Pure Effect (another small company) so I am a little skeptical. Any one heard of Pure Effect or have any recommendations?

21. Mark Timmons says:

Why not look at one of our systems?