Categorized | Salt-Free Systems

Pelican NatureSoft

Sarah asked:

“I am also wondering if you still think Pelican™* NatureSoft does not work. Our water hardness is 595 mg/l and TDS is 702 mg/l. I would prefer a salt free system if any works. Thanks for your help.”

The Water Doctor Replied:

We see very mixed reviews about Pelican™, but I can tell you one thing absolutely for certain:

It is not what they say it is and it does not do what they say.

Let me back that comment up:

Right on Pelicans’™ website they say:
“The Pelican™
Natursoft keeps the healthy minerals in the water so you can enjoy naturally softened water.”

Naturally softened water is water that is devoid of minerals, so how can you enjoy naturally softened water when it still has minerals? Naturally softened water is where water hardness is absent however, when the water is directly from precipitation, snowmelt, or regions such as mountains where there are no sedimentary rock formations. Some cities have naturally soft water (Boston, Seattle, Portland, New York, Atlanta, Baltimore and others). You don’t produce naturally softened water. So, right out of the chute, Pelican™ is giving you erroneous information, which begs the question “If what they say in the beginning is not true, what part do you believe?”

When I read stuff like that, I just shut-down. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!

They go on to state:
“With the NaturSoft system installed you can reduce your soap usage and use more natural soaps with less salts and chemicals.” In fact they say: “Reduces laundry detergents 40-60%”

Again, I am going on record as saying that the above statements are easily proven false. Do a “blind soap test” and you will not be able to see the difference! I have tried it. If I am wrong, I invite Pelican™ to prove it. Here is your opportunity. Show me that your product does what you say and I will retract my statement.

So, back to the original question. “Do I believe the Pelican™ works?” The answer is NO, because it is not what they claim and does not do what they claim. There are several internet companies selling products like this. They are “faceless” companies. Who owns them? What are their qualifications? My wife and I are the owners of US Water (in the interest of full disclosure) and we sell the GreenWave systems. I have 38 years of water treatment experience and am one of the highest certified water specialists in the country.

We don’t claim that we have “naturally soft water” nor do we claim they will save you 40-60% on detergents. What we do say is that the GreenWave prevents scale while removing the undesirable contaminants, but leaving the beneficial minerals. You can find out more about the GreenWave salt-free water conditioners here:

* – Pelican™ is a registered trademark of Pelican Water Technologies. US Water Systems has no affiliation with the company.

18 Responses to “Pelican NatureSoft”

1. Rhonda says:

I tried to look at your website link listed above. http://www.uswatersystems.com it is no longer there either removed or deleted. Whys that?

The Water Doctor Replied:

Probably a navigation change on the site. Try this:

2. Rob says:

I am a little confused by your blog post. You say that the Pelican system doesn’t reduce soap usage and that you don’t claim that. But I was on your website looking at your greenwave system and on page 8 of your owner’s manual you state you will save 50% on detergents. So I am confused about whether your systems will reduce detergent usage or not. Can you help clear this up? Here is a link to the owners manual on your site http://www.uswatersystems.com/shop/product_images/Greenwave-Cascade.pdf

3. mark says:

Rob,

Thank you for pointing that out to me. We had removed that from our literature and website when we discovered that simply wasn’t true, but evidently no one noticed the manual. You are very perceptive.

Our systems do not reduce soap usage by 50% and neither do any other ones.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks again for bringing it to my attention.

4. Paul H says:

5. mark says:

Paul H Wrote:
    “I’m a water treatment dealer for 30 years.I’ve seen a lot of units making big claims and I’ve removed a lot of units that had no effect.
    Is there any anti scaling unit out there that will actually keep systems from scaling.”

The Water Doctor Replied:

Paul,

Our Green Wave Systems do exactly what we say and we offer a money-back guarantee.

Link:

6. Lacie Joos says:

Wow, what a great site!

7. Paul says:

In comparing Pelican and Green Wave Salt Free Water Conditioners- Ignoring the claims by Pelican that you have pointed out as false – aren’t both systems equal? Doing the same work?

8. mark says:

Paul,

We believe that the Green Wave and Pelican use the same Media.

9. Mark says:

The descriptions on the us water website look very much like Pelican… pre-filter, big carbon filter and some resin tank that turns calcium into crystals… so how is yours different? How does yours work and their’s does not?

10. mark says:

Mark,

I have never said Pelican doesn’t work. I have just said that it doesn’t do what they say, because it doesn’t! They call it a water softener and it is not. PERIOD!

The fact of the matter is that Pelican and Green Water are most likely the same media. Green Wave has bigger carbon tanks and carbon filters and cost less, which should make it better.

11. chaosgyro says:

Essentially mark is saying “Don’t buy Pelican because they sell you a crock of lies. Buy mine instead: it’s the same crock but without lies.”

What we all know is that when Pelican talks about soft water they don’t mean that the minerals are gone, but that you notice the same effects as soft water…or rather that you no longer get the effects of hard water. THAT is what the consumer cares about, not whether the true definition of “soft water” is being met.

12. mark says:

chasgyro wrote:

The Water Doctor Responded:

Don’t Put Words In My Mouth!

I wrote what I wrote and I can prove every word of it. You can say that is your opinion of what I wrote, but that is not what I said. What pelican says is not a “crock of lies” but some of it is very misleading, and you also have been mislead when you say “but that you notice the same effects as soft water” – that is TOTALLY untrue and we are currently producing a video that will conclusively show this. Here’s what a novice like you needs to know: IF YOU DON’T MEET THE DEFINITION OF SOFT WATER, YOU WON”T GET THE SAME EFFECTS! I think the consumer cares about getting the truth and this blog is about that.

13. Anthony says:

There are alot of companies out there that once claimed to soften water without using salt, majority have taken back that terminology! Pelican cannot soften the water because it is not removing the minerals necessary to do so, let alone it does not regenerate to wash out contaminants. Been plumbing for over 8 years and have tested many systems, the only saltless system I trust enough to put my name on is halo! Look them up at halowatersystems.com you can actually get a hold of their top reps and he will discuss whatever system you want and be straight with you. They also do not sell online for mass profit, they like quality assurance through having licensed techs and companies install them so the system is optimal for longevity and quality. I have one in my home and cabin on a well system, i know they work

14. Mike says:

Water Doctor,
    What is your opinion of US Water Systems products compared to Pelican Products? Thanks!

15. mark says:

Mike,

Just so that you know – I am one of the owners of US Water. We test and have tested practically every system on the market. I believe that Pelican is the same as our Green Wave. Green Wave costs less and is generally more robust. US Water tells you exactly what a salt free systems will and won’t do. Other than that, the systems are substantially similar as near as I can tell.

16. mark says:

Anthony,

I respect your opinion, but I have never seen what you are saying about Halo. I don’t see how it can work. Explain it to me.

17. Tim says:

If Pelican and Green Wave use the same media, then why does Pelican not require that their media be replaced every 2 to 5 years? Also, I thought I read on your website that the media used in the Green Wave system is proprietary. If it is then how can Pelican be using the same media? Just curious because I am currently comparing both systems for purchase. Thanks

18. Mark Timmons says:

Tim,

It is our belief that Pelican and Green Wave use the same media. Ours in not proprietary. We have blogged about the salt free media for about eight years.

We just tell the truth. If you believe their media lasts forever, then you will have to find out for yourself what hundreds of others already know.